Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
I love turning a classic family favorite into an easy Instant Pot recipe. The best part of converting a recipe to an easier Instant Pot version is you busy mom’s get some time back in your day to spend with your family. Let the Instant Pot do all the work while you check in with your kids about their day and enjoy this delicious dinner together.
What cut of beef should I use for beef stroganoff?
For this recipe I used sirloin steak, but some times I use round steak, or even cube steak. When you pressure cook steak even a tougher cut of meat you will be pleasantly suprised at just how tender and delicious it comes out. If you don’t have any steak on hand you could certianly substitute ground beef as well for an even more budget friendly dinner.
Easy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Once you have decided what cut of steak you want to use, thaw and slice it against the grain into 1/2 inch strips and set it aside. To make dinner time easier prepare the steak and store in an air tight container for up to 24 hours. When your ready to cook select the sauté function on the Instant Pot add 2 Tbsp. of EVOO and wait until the display read HOT.
One Pot Beef Stroganoff
While the Instant Pot is heating up dice up a medium white onion and mince the garlic. For a shortcut I love using pre minced garlic, really saves time and a mess. Next heat 4 cups of water with 4 Tbsp. of Better Than Bullion Roasted Beef and stir to combine.
When the Instant Pot display reads HOT add diced onion and minced garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes. Next add the steak strips and season with salt and pepper. Continue sauteing for 2-3 more minutes. Pour in the beef broth you have prepared and deglaze the bottom of the Instant pot by scraping all of the stuck on tidbits off with a wooden spatula. Add in Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and stir to combine. On top of the beef mixture add the egg noodles and using your spatula press them into the liquid so they are submerged.
How to cook Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Making sure your ingredients do not go over the max fill line of the Instant Pot inner pot and place the lid on and lock it in place. Turn the vent knob to the sealing position and select pressure cook/manual and set the cook time for 5 minutes. The Instant Pot will take around 10 minutes to come to pressure before it starts the 5 minute cooking cycle. When the Instant Pot beeps to signal the cooking cycle is complete immediately release the pressure. This will take a few minutes to release completely. When the pot has depressurized carefully remove the lid and stir to combine the ingredients. At this time add the fresh sliced mushrooms and sour cream and place the lid back on to warm through for 3-4 minutes.
You never want to add a thickener ingredient like sour cream or cream of soup before you pressure cook. Thickeners and milk based ingredients should always be added at the end of pressure cooking. To cook further you can always return the Instant Pot to the sauté function if the keep warm setting isn’t warming the dish fast enough.
Creamy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Adding sour cream or plain Greek yogurt to the Instant Pot will bring all the flavors together and turn your Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff into a creamy delicious and easy weeknight dinner. For a bit more creaminess serve with a dollop of sour cream on top.
What can I use in place of sour cream in beef stroganoff?
As I mentioned above you may prefer using plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream in your stroganoff, but you could also try substituting with cottage cheese, cream cheese, coconut milk, cashew milk, or heavy cream.
Easy Instant Pot Recipes To Make Tonight
Family classic Beef Stroganoff now even better and easier made all in one pot.
- 1.5 lbs. Sirlion steak sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Medium white onion diced
- 1 Tbsp. Minced garlic
- 1 tsp. Sea salt
- 1 tsp. Black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. Better Thank Bouillon Premium Roasted Beef Base
- 4 Cups of water
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Low Sodium soy sauce/Tamari sauce
- 16 oz. Package extra wide egg noodles
- 16 oz. Sliced white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Slice the steak against the grain into 1/3-1/2 inch thick strips and set aside.
- Add EVOO to the Instant Pot and select the sauté function.
- Dice medium white onion
- Mince garlic
- Heat up 4 cups of water and add better than bullion, stir to incorporate and set aside
- Add onion and garlic to the Instant Pot when the display reads HOT
- Sauté for 2 minutes
- Add the steak and season with salt and pepper, sauté for 2-3 more minutes
- Pour in beef broth (bullion & water) and deglaze the bottom of the pot completely.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and low sodium soy sauce and stir to combine
- Add egg noodles to the top of the beef mixture and using a spatula press the noodles into the broth so they are submerged. DO NOT STIR
- Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes with vent knob turned to the sealing position
- Quickly release the pressure immediately after the 5 minute cook cycle is complete.
- Stir to combine the ingredients
- Add the sliced mushrooms and sour cream and stir
- Replace the lid and allow the mushrooms and sour cream to warm through for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve with a fresh parsley and a dollop of sour cream on top if desired.
It's is very important to deglaze the bottom of the pot, do not skip this step. Also DO NOT STIR the noodles into the pot you may get the burn error message if the noodles are touching the bottom of the pot during the cooking cycle.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Extra Large Cutting Boards, Plastic Cutting Board for Kitchen Dishwasher Safe Non Slip Chopping Board Set of 3 with Juice Grooves, Easy Grip Handle, Grey, Kikcoin
Kitchen Utensils Set,NAYAHOSE Wooden Cooking Utensil Set Non-stick Pan Kitchen Tool Wooden Cooking Spoons and Spatulas Wooden Spoons for cooking salad fork
Instant Pot Max Pressure Cooker 9 in 1, Best for Canning with 15PSI and Sterilizer, 6 Qt
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 566Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 146mgSodium: 1937mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 40g
Nutrition information is an estimate.