Instant Pot Italian Meatballs
Italian Meatballs are an easy make-ahead and freezer meal to always have on hand. When making a large batch of Italian Meatballs you can prepare everything once and make 3-4 meals out of it. Our family loves using these meatballs in our favorite homemade marinara sauce and serving over Instant Pot Banza chickpea pasta, Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash or on a hoagie roll for a delicious meatball sandwich.
How do you make gluten-free meatballs from scratch?
To make these meatballs gluten-free is really simple. Instead of using traditional bread crumbs, I substitute gluten-free Italian bread crumbs like these. This is optional and totally up to your family’s preferences and dietary needs. I like the added flavor from using Italian bread crumbs but you could also substitute almond flour and Italian seasoning as well.
How to Make Italian Meatballs
In a large mixing bowl add ground beef and Italian sausage, finely diced white onion, and parsley. Next add minced garlic, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and salt and pepper to the mixing bowl. Using your hands thoroughly mix the ingredients together until everything is combined evenly. Once the mixture is completely mixed start rolling it into 1.5″ round balls and place on a large cookie sheet. Continue rolling the meat mixture until you have used it all. You should have approximately 30-32 meatballs.
Instant Pot Frozen Italian Meatballs
Once you have made and frozen your meatballs my favorite way to prepare them for an easy and quick weeknight dinner is to put them in the pressure cooker with my homemade spaghetti sauce or a jar of Rao’s Marinara Sauce. When using a red sauce in the Instant Pot it is important to use a thinner sauce like marinara or to add more water to the pot to avoid getting the dreaded burn error message. With a thinner sauce like marinara, I will add 1/2 cup of water to allow the pressure cooker to come up to pressure and seal without burning.
Pair these delicious Italian Meatballs with:
How To Freeze Meatballs
To freeze meatballs place the formed balls onto a large cookie sheet and place the entire sheet pan into the freezer for 3-4 hours, or until the meatballs are completely frozen. To store frozen meatballs place them in gallon freezer bags that are labeled and dated for up to 6 weeks. For up to 4 months of freezer storage consider vacuum sealing 10-12 meatballs per package and using them as needed
Instant Pot Meatballs with Marinara & Banza Chickpea Pasta
For a quick and easy weeknight dinner pressure cook meatballs in marinara sauce and add cooked Banza chickpea pasta to the Instant Pot for a healthy & easy dinner (read more about how to cook chickpea pasta in the Instant Pot here). Toss together meatballs, marinara & pasta, and top with shredded parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. To take your meal prep to the next level freeze your leftover pasta and meatballs together using Souper Cubes.
Easy Instant Pot Recipes To Make Tonight
Italian Meatballs with freezer instructions
- 1.5 lbs. Lean ground beef
- 1.5 lbs. Mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 Medium white onion diced finely
- 2 Tbsp. Minced garlic
- 1/2 Cup Shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. Minced parsley
- 1/2 Cup Gluten Free Italian bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. Sea salt
- 1-2 tsp. Ground black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl add ground beef and Italian sausage.
- Finely dice half of a medium-sized white onion and add to the mixing bowl.
- Chop parsley finely and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add minced garlic, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and salt and pepper to the mixing bowl.
- Using your hands thoroughly mix the ingredients together until everything is combined evenly.
- Once the mixture is completely mixed start rolling the meat into 1.5" round balls and place on a large cookie sheet.
- Continue rolling the meat mixture until you have used it all. You should have approximately 30-32 meatballs.
- Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for 3-4 hours or until the meatballs are completely frozen.
- Once the meatballs are frozen transfer them to labeled and dated freezer bags or vacuum sealer bags to store.
- To use frozen meatballs add a 32 oz. jar of your favorite marinara sauce to the Instant Pot along with 1/2 cup of water.
- Drop-in 10-12 frozen meatballs and select pressure cook/manual high setting for 5 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle is complete let the pressure release naturally 15-20 minutes.
- Serve over your favorite pasta or on a hoagie roll.
One batch makes approximately 30-32 meatballs. If freezing in freezer bags use within 6 weeks. Vacuum-sealed meatballs may be stored for up to 4 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Big Sheet
Kitchen Utensils Set,NAYAHOSE Wooden Cooking Utensil Set Non-stick Pan Kitchen Tool Wooden Cooking Spoons and Spatulas Wooden Spoons for cooking salad fork
Instant Pot Max Pressure Cooker 9 in 1, Best for Canning with 15PSI and Sterilizer, 6 Qt
FoodSaver V4840 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealer Machine with Automatic Bag Detection and Starter Kit | Safety Certified | Silver
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 631mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 23g
Nutrition information is an estimate.